We are extending the deadline for the recruitment process for the Manitoba IBA Program and Manitoba Chimney Swift Initiative Coordinator.
The new deadline will be midnight on Monday September 16th 2019.
The Manitoba Important Bird Area (IBA) Caretaker Program and Manitoba Chimney Swift Initiative (MCSI) are seeking a full-time coordinator to run these programs in Manitoba, with the assistance of two volunteer steering committees. We envisage the successful candidate will work 3 days/week on the IBA Program and 2 days/week on the MCSI. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering multiple grant programs, including the Bird Studies Canada “Enhancing Avian Species At Risk Applicability in Conservation Delivery” in southwestern Manitoba and the Habitat Stewardship Program grant “Working with the Urban Development Sector in Manitoba to Provide Stewardship for the Chimney Swift”.
The position is currently funded fully up to March 31st 2020, and part-time from April 1st 2020, with actual days worked being flexible depending on the candidate’s availability and work requirements. The exact start date is negotiable, preferably by October 2019. It is envisioned that the successful candidate will work from Nature Manitoba’s Winnipeg office; however, other locations may be acceptable to suit the successful candidate’s preference. Travel to various Manitoba locations, especially southwestern Manitoba, will be involved. The position will require field work and the successful candidate may need to stay overnight in rural Manitoba.
We seek a dynamic individual who can engage a variety of audiences and rally support for the projects from different sectors. The successful candidate will:
- work independently, but with input from both committees, to continue the development and promotion of province-wide programs,
- write funding proposals and to seek opportunities to expand the programs
- be skilled at giving presentations, recruiting volunteers, and organizing events
- organize volunteer events, including habitat stewardship work parties and volunteer monitoring blitzes
- engage with diverse community groups to deliver stewardship and monitoring, including beef producers, landowners, First Nations, birders and building owners
- deliver monitoring for various groups of birds including shorebirds, grassland birds and aerial insectivores
- train and coordinate volunteers in avian monitoring techniques
- be able to use the IBA monitoring protocol (eBird) and technical tools and to explain their usage to volunteers
- be able to manage a database of Chimney Swift records and coordinate contributions to national monitoring programs
- create and manage partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organisations
- maintain the website http://importantbirdareasmb.ca, social media accounts and provide content to the volunteer webmaster for the MCSI website
- manage two separate budgets, subcontracts and summer staff
- represent the programs at meetings or conferences as required
- coordinate the two programs and be accountable to two Steering Committees as required
Compensation: $22.50/hr starting salary with the possibility of increased hours and pay dependent on performance review.
- Demonstrated oral and written communications skills,
- Demonstrated knowledge of natural history and conservation (although a degree in biological or ecological sciences is not required, this program will benefit from someone who can speak with confidence and authority on the conservation issues pertinent to IBAs and Chimney Swifts).
- Familiarity with Manitoba’s avifauna, experience in conservation programming, experience in working with community organizations and/or NGOs, fundraising experience, and bilingualism, are strong assets.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and negotiate with different groups of people to deliver and negotiate stewardship for Species at Risk
- Demonstrated avian monitoring skills
- Basic computer familiarity, especially with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Familiarity with Adobe or other photo-editing software an asset.
- Valid driver’s license (own vehicle or ability to rent a vehicle preferred)
Please send (electronically in .doc, .rtf, or .pdf format) a résumé and cover letter with the names of three referees to Paula Grieef at email@example.com.
Deadline: Sept 16, 2019, midnight Central time.