We are looking for a summer student for this summer, funded via the Province of Manitoba Green Team Program. Here are the details.
Manitoba Important Bird Areas Program Assistant
The Manitoba Important Bird Area (IBA) Program is hiring a Program Assistant. This position is based out of Winnipeg and includes travel to various IBAs in southern Manitoba. The position is a 300-hour part-time contract at $13-$15/hr depending on experience – start date May 2019.
Working closely with the IBA Coordinator, the responsibilities of the Program Assistant are to:
- monitor the endangered Chimney Swift in urban areas of Manitoba, especially Winnipeg;
- monitor populations of threatened birds in Manitoba’s IBAs;
- assist with bird monitoring blitzes in Manitoba’s IBAs;
- assist with organising events and activities for the Manitoba IBA Program;
- provide outreach to landowners with the federally threatened Chimney Swift;
- research and develop educational materials for landowners and the general public to promote Manitoba’s IBAs;
- represent the IBA Program at meetings, local events and festivals in southern and central Manitoba;
- assist with Manitoba IBA blog site and social media set-up;
- assist with volunteer and partner communications via email and phone;
- other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant will have:
- A minimum of 2 years of post-secondary education in biology, conservation or environmental science degree / diploma program
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the natural history of Manitoba
- A keen interest in, knowledge of and ability to identify birds in Manitoba
- Previous experience in environmental education and outreach is a strong asset
- Experience with & knowledge of WordPress, Facebook and the Microsoft Office suite
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well as a team and independently
Interested in applying?
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the position:
- youth aged 15 to 29,
- living in Manitoba, and
- legally entitled to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward their resume and short 1 page cover letter as 1 PDF file by email to the IBA Coordinator at email@example.com (Subject line: IBA Program Assistant) by May 10th, 2019.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.