We are looking for a summer student for this summer, funded via the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Here are the details.
Manitoba Important Bird Areas Program Assistant
The Manitoba Important Bird Area (IBA) Program is hiring a Program Assistant. This position is based out of Winnipeg, or remotely depending on the successful candidate, and includes travel to various IBAs in southern Manitoba, with periods of time in the Souris River Watershed District. The position is a 280-hour contract at $15/hr depending on experience – start date June 2020.
For more information on the Manitoba IBA program, visit: http://importantbirdareasmb.ca.
Working closely with the IBA Coordinator, the responsibilities of the Program Assistant are to:
- Conduct monitoring for Avian Species at Risk in southwestern Manitoba for a significant period of the contract
- Assist with monitoring populations of threatened birds and landowner outreach in Manitoba’s IBAs including in southwestern Manitoba;
- Assist with organising events and activities for the Manitoba IBA Program;
- Monitor the threatened Chimney Swift in urban areas of Manitoba, including southwestern Manitoba;
- Work remotely with citizen scientists to assist in data collection, data entry and analysis for the threatened Chimney Swift;
- Research and develop educational materials for landowners and the general public to promote Manitoba’s IBAs and Chimney Swifts;
- Assist with Manitoba IBA blog site and social media set-up;
- Assist with volunteer and partner communications via email and phone;
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant will have:
- A minimum of 2 years of post-secondary education in biology, conservation or environmental science degree / diploma program
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the natural history of Manitoba
- A keen interest in, knowledge of and ability to identify birds in Manitoba
- Previous experience in environmental education and outreach is a strong asset
- Experience with & knowledge of WordPress, Facebook and the Microsoft Office suite
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well as a team and independently
- Willing to drive to remote locations in southwestern Manitoba and do overnight stays if necessary (rental or use of own car permitted and expenses will be covered)
Interested in applying?
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the position:
- youth aged 15 to 30,
- valid Class 5 driver’s licence,
- living in Manitoba, and
- legally entitled to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward their resume and short 1-page cover letter as 1 PDF file by email to the IBA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: IBA Program Assistant) by June 1st, 2020.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.